More than 2 months have passed since the floods affected the state of Uttarakhand. The non stop coverage on television ( thankfully ) has stopped. Locals can now get down to the difficult job of building their lives.
When the disaster struck help came from all quarters- people gave cash and in kind and lots of volunteers risked their lives to provide relief and save lives. 2 months down the line Uttarakhand is facing another challenge- Its economy largely dependent on flows of tourist from outside is stalling. It needs to jumpstart its economy.
We know you helped. And we still need your help. Here are 5 ways in which you can help Uttarakhand NOW.
1) Visit a tourist destination in Uttarakhand in the next few weeks/months : Most of the tourist spots are deserted as people are scared to visit. In reality places like Mussorie, Nainital, Dehradoon, Mukteshwar, Binsar, Ranikhet were not affected at all in the floods. See when you visit Uttarakhand the taxis get business, hotels get business, locals are able to sell food and milk- in short the whole economic activity is kick started. Most of the tourist destinations are safe. So to help take a vacation with your family to Uttrakahand.
2) Ask your Friends to visit Uttarakhand- If you have a offsite have it in Uttarakhand, get your company to do a meeting in Uttarakhand. Do your honeymoon in Uttarakhand. Find an excuse and just go and ask others to go.
3) Buy products made in Uttarakhand: You can buy products made by Himjoli, SBMA, HAARC, Devbhoomi, Aarohi, Chirag, Kumaoni etc. When you buy products from these organisation, villagers get direct benefit. Diwali is around the corner and this time you can do a great help by using products made by Uttarakhand for corporate gifting.
4) Try and help the small guy : Use a home-stay, eat in a small eatery owned by locals. Don’t negotiate too hard this time with the porter or trekking guide.
5) Spread the word about ways to help.