If we look at the data we will realise that in very few cases Taxi and Taxi drivers disrespect women or molest them. In most cases women get molested, kidnapped and raped in Private vehicles. Do we have a similar sticker for them. Imagine on your bad ass SUV- This SUV respects women.
I wanted to start somewhere so 29th June is the day I want to stop buying things for the rest of the year. Some basic rules that I will follow
- I will not buy new buy books unless I have read all the books that I have in book shelf.
- I will not buy new clothes and shoes.
- I will not buy any new electronic items.
- I will not buy anything new for the house.
- I will not buy anything that I don’t need to function
- I will not buy cycling or running gear. No new water bottles.
- I will do my best not to buy bottled water.
Let’s see how the next 6 month of the year goes.
I grew up in Shimla.For a variety of reasons our family moved to Dehradoon in late 90s. In the beginning I didn’t like Dehradoon. It was a a city in a rush to become Delhi. But slowly I started enjoying doon. And how can I not. Mussoorie was literally walking distance and Ganga was never too far away.
But Shimla never moved out of heart. I kept my links with Shimla alive by visiting the city whenever I got a chance.
Its been 24 years since I left Shimla. Out of which the for the last 14 years I have been living in Delhi. I call Delhi (South) home. I’m home in Delhi.
Life has been kind inspite the usual ups and downs. For the first time in my life I have the luxury of choice. I can choose where to live for the remaining years of my life.
Go back to the city where I was born or keep living in the city that made me what I’m today. Or take the middle path and move to Dehradoon.
The answer came to me after a long time.
I totally agree that cruelty against animals is the worst form of cruelty and a slap on the face of entire humanity. Why ? Because animals can’t speak . They have to suffer silently the whole thing. If we are the higher beings then we have to treat other animals with kindness.
I’m all against animal cruelty but hey my morning starts with a healthy animal cruelty.
My morning tea has milk that is not meant for me. It’s for the calf. Imagine a cow who is lactating after delivery. Her calf is hungry. He is brought to the her just so that she can start giving milk. The calf doesn’t get to drink much. Almost all of the milk is taken away to be sold. Now replace calf with your newborn. Would you like mother’s milk for your newborn to be taken away from him.
So yes protest by all means but first put down that chicken wing and leave your lattes else you are just a Facebook animal friendly hypocrite.
Some would argue let’s start change with Jallikatu. I would say lets start change with us. Let’s start with our morning tea.
When you make your resolutions public you can depend on the energy of the universe to make them happen. Also one can count on good friends to remind every now and then.
So here is a list of my resolutions for the coming year and I need everyone’s help to make them happen.
- Say NO: I find it impossible to say NO to anything. This year I want to learn to say NO to things that are not important or urgent or interesting. No more saying YES just because you feel obligated. No more saying YES to that extra Roti. NO to that conference or meeting that is just a waste of time.
- Say YES to Meditation and Yoga: I want learn meditation and Yoga. Its been on my list of things to do for a long time. I feel now is the time in my life to start doing it. Any leads on how to go about doing this?
- Learn something new: Either hone up swimming skills or learn to skateboard. I don’t remember when was the last time I learned something which was physical in nature.
- Read 12 books: On an average one book a month for year 2017.
- Learn to code .. again : 16 years ago I could write SQL code and make it talk to databases. The world has changed in these 16 years. I want to understand what people code now days. My first stop is the learning to do programming with Scratch. Scratch is a visual programming language for kids.
- Lead a minimalist life: Buy less and discard anything that is in excess is going to be a mantra for 2017.
- Eat and live healthy: I want to reduce 4 whites in my food. White rice, white sugar, white milk and white atta ( maid or anything processed)
So these are my resolutions for 2017. I would love to know what are yours.
History has a uncanny habit of repeating itself.
The recent assassination of Russian Ambassador in Ankara is like the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, the archduke of Austria-Hungary. His death at the hands of Gavrilo Princip a Serbian was one the major reasons for the start of the First world war that killed 17 million people.
Let’s pray that this recent incident doesn’t lead to a “crisis of confidence” between Russia and Turkey.
Just a few months back Turkey had shot down a Russian fighter Jet. Both Turkey and Russia are heavily invested into Syria albeit on opposite sides.
Turkey is a NATO member. If Russia attacks Turkey NATO will be drawn into the conflict. America, who is also member of NATO will be duty bound to get involved too. And with Donald Trump at the helm of affairs things can get messy.
At the end of 2nd world war UN was created to make sure the world doesn’t blow itself up. So far the UN has done its job. But the recent killing of innocents in Aleppo-Syria and Iraq doesn’t inspire much confidence on the ability of UN to prevent wars.
Lets just hope that history doesn’t repeat itself or else the world as we know it will be gone.
Never mind fellow netizens and experts with a IQ of 200 and above. You are free to comment and make jokes about it. Buzzfeed has actually a whole list of it here.
So I thought for a change it will be nice for us to see what the survey actually is like. So I dowloaded the survey and took some screen shots.
First, I agree that that large number of poor people who don’t smart phone cannot respond to the survey. But I fail to remember when was the last time in our history we actually asked the poor about their opinion. So lets not bring the poor into the argument just to win some points. This is the first time a politician is even asking people about their opinion on a policy. It may not be the best medium but its a start.
But back to the survey.
Some questions use a scale. It may not be a perfect Likert scale but its not that bad that you simply ostracise the survey. All the questions are easy to understand. May be one or two questions like the one that says – anti corruption activists are now supporting corruption- Yes or No is over the top and should have been removed. In all Yes or No questions one could have added- I don’t know as an option
And yes all those who have smart phone and want to have their opinion heard can always criticise the demonetisation move on this app first and then take to twitter. That way they will get to see the questions 🙂
For the last 7 years of running I have made improvements every year. Slowly moving from one goal to another. I started with a modest Airtel Delhi Half marathon in 2008 at 2 hrs 50 minutes to my personal best of 1 hrs 41 minutes in 2015.
So why this year had to be any different.
But yes different is what it turned out to be precisely on the 20th November at Airtel Delhi Half Marathon 2016
Just previous year I had clocked 21kms at 1hrs 41 minutes which my personal best. I wanted to better my record and get over the other side of 100 minutes. But some things are not to be. Not only I failed to cut the 100 minute mark I also slipped my personal best by 1 minute to finish the half marathon in 1 hrs 42 minutes and 15 seconds.
Now this is not a bad time by any stretch of imagination. It just stopped my improvements over timing in the tracks.
I started the race with some lofty goals in my mind. Yes may be this is one where I will beat the 100 minutes mark that everyone Half marathoner wants to achieve ( We would love to boast that we finish half marathon in double digits- 99 minutes or less).
No such pleasure this time.
I know its not a big deal. The run was not to win any medals. Every runner knows that there are no prizes to win in the end . Its race against yourself.
And this is precisely I have failed.
The other area where I have failed is in making the same mistakes over and over. I ran the first 5 kms faster than I had ever run in my life sometime clocking as fast as 4 mins 36 seconds to a Km. This really pushed my heart in the red zone from where I never recovered. This made me struggle a lot in the last 7 kms of the race. Close to 50 runners overtook me towards the end of the race. Yes I was counting.
So what are the lessons.
Wait for muscle soreness to get over. Wait for another 12 months. Airtel Delhi Half Marathon we will meet again in 2017 and we will see if we are getting any older or not.
May be I should train more regularly and learn to pace better or else like they say- This is the beginning of a slippery slope my friend.
Okay, Indians will give you 50 days to make things normal. Lets hope you will be able to get ATMs to start dispensing cash. Lets hope you can make sure that everyone who doesn’t have a bank account is also able to change his or her currency and get started. But all of this will be well begun half done if you don’t do the following things. Worst,some of us will also start questioning the point of this exercise.
- Keep a limit on cash withdrawals from banks for ever. You can only withdraw so much cash in a calendar year. If it needs a new ordinance so be it. If there are no limits on cash withdrawals from banks then we will be back to square one. If you can’t legally limit then make the process difficult.
- Build a national invoicing system- one single software that everyone needs to use to print invoices. For instance Delhi government has a single system that connects all their liquor shops. No more back entries in the books. Those who are not online please connect them using digital India mission.
- Introduce a cash transaction tax. Any cash transaction that is done will require a 10% tax. I’m sure you have smart people who can figure out how to do this.
- Make political parties including BJP disclose the source of donations- both cash and cheque. Accountability has to start from your yard and rest of us will follow
- Digitise all land and building records. Make sure property cannot be purchased or sold without confirming the title on the digital records and not below the circle rates. PAN already is compulsory. No PAN, No Property .
Start with suggestions 4 and 5. We are ready to face the brunt of demonetisation. We want to see if you are ready too: 🙂
I hope these things are already planned because I believe that you and your team is quite smart and have the right intent.
Have you ever tried doing online check in with Air India. You will go nuts. First of all they have 4 options and then each of the options they have a long list of things that they require before you check in. In todays day and age they want you to give you Flight number and date with your name, PNR etc
The four infamous options
After you have chosen one of the above you will be presented with another screen with more information to give. All these six fields are compulsory but they don’t tell us that upfront. You will realise it after doing dance with submissions and errors.
Now see how Indigo does web check in. PNR and name and its done. No wonder they have pipped Air India in everything.
Our Indian state carrier is also not ashamed of using stock photos and that too of a foreign national. They are just too lazy. If you have to use stock photo please choose a Indian face at least.
I don’t know when will Air India grow up to be an adult.